This vegetable smoothie recipe is packed full ofÂ nitrates! Dr. Greger is the most brilliant lifestyle doctor and nutrition expert on the planet. And here we have his first in the kitchen recipe video welcoming his new book “How Not To Die Cookbook” with the recipeÂ “V-12 Vegetable Blast”.
This isn’t his first video like this, sort of anyways. At least four years ago there was one published on YouTube where he spends some time in the kitchen. It’s different, it’s a longer video and looks a lot more old school, but it’s great nonetheless! (Maximum Nutrition Transitioning Towards a Plant Based Diet). I’m not sure if all the nutrition advice this older video is as current though since he’s done so much meta-analysis on new science since. So everything moving forward should be the utmost nutritionally awesome!
Just Some of the Benefits of this Vegetable Smoothie
This vegetable smoothie was designed with “nitrate-rich vegetables, like beetroot and spinach shown to improve both oxygen delivery to our tissues by opening our blood vessels, and amazingly, oxygen efficiency, boosting the amount of power we can extract from each breath. This leads to:”
- all sorts of athletic performance enhancing benefits
- improves lung function in emphysema
- brings down high blood pressure
- improves peripheral artery disease
- boosts cognitive function
- may even enhance longevity by slowing our basal metabolic rate
ThisÂ vegetable smoothie recipe in his new cookbook is actually a little more involved using fresh tomatoes and the such. This video showcases an easier way to get started with this awesome recipe 🙂
Ingredients to Dr. Greger’s V12 Vegetable Smoothie
This recipe is not only in his cookbook it’s also on NutritionFacts.org with zillions of other cool things: Check it out Here
- Stalk of Celery
- Half a red, orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1/5 of a small beet
- fifth of a raw jalapeno
- 1/4 of fresh turmeric root (kinda looks like a little turd)
- 2 cups Arugula if you’re eating it right away
- or something more hardy like 1 cup of kale and 1 cup of curly parsley if you’re preparing for several days
- no-salt-added vegetable juice blend or tomato juice
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of horseradish (prepared or grate horseradish root)
- Half a lemon juice and zest that lemon “for a bonus”
Just blend all this together for “ten burpees”!
This video is going viral! It’s not even been up half a day and it’s already at 10K views with 1K likes!